I love felting wool! I have a lovely alpaca farm, not too far from home, that sells some really beautiful, natural wool that I love to work with. I really enjoy making felt dryer balls with cute designs on them. Know who else really digs them? Daisy! She snags them and takes off with them all the time! That’s when I thought…well why not? I decided to do a little research and found that wool toys are a great option for pets. I now make and sell hand-felted wool balls for pets and wanted to share with you some of the benefits of these toys.
Benefits of felted wool toys:
- dogs love natural smells and textures
- they are free of chemicals and unnatural dyes–our dogs love tennis balls but they are made with treated plastic…ewww!
- wool is digestible–a little wont hurt them but of course a whole toy will so always supervise when your dog is chewing any toy and remove if needed
- natural wool is antimicrobial and antibacterial–and when they get funky and gross, just pop them into the wash to freshen them up
- they feel good in their mouths and are gentle on their teeth and gums–Daisy LOVES to suck on them. It is like she is soothing herself with it.
- easy on your house–they are soft so they don’t make noise and are less likely to break things or bang up your walls
- great for puppies–my puppies love them when they are teething and they love that they are light and they can carry them around in their teeth
So many great reasons to add wool felted balls to your pups toy box! Remember, to supervise and buy the appropriate size for your dog. They are very durable, but if you have an aggressive chewer, pay close attention. Like I mentioned, if they ingest a little wool, they will be fine but you don’t want them eating too much! And finally, refresh the ball in the wash whenever needed. Just throw it in with your clothes. If it looks a little fuzzy after, you can always trim them. Keep an eye out for my La Jolie Frenchie Store coming soon here on my website 🙂 If you are interested in purchasing one before I have them available on my store, email me and I will send one out to you.